Wednesday, August 8, 2012

What is it like...

To be a teenager with Type 1 Diabetes

I feel like it has been a long time since I continued this series. I have just been so busy outside in the diabetes world that my blog got a little neglected.

So here we go again. I had the pleasure of email interviewing Brooke who is a 19yr old T1D who was diagnosed in 1993. Here is what she has to let you know


Q: First Name and Age:
A:
 I'm Brooke and I'm 19

Q:
When were you diagnosed and at what age?
A:
Diagnosed in 1993 at the age of 10 months

Q:
What do you remember about your diagnosis?
A:
 No recollection as I was too little!

Q:
Are you on an insulin pump (if yes what kind) or are you on multiple daily injections?
A:
Currently on injections but looking to move to a pump in the near future

Q:
How comfortable are you managing your Type 1 Diabetes?
A:
 It’s something I've always had and known so pretty comfortable but Mum is always such a great person to turn to when things get tough

Q:
What is the hardest aspect of your diabetes management?
A:
 Trying to always keep sugar levels at the right levels, especially when out with friends and such

Q:
Do you have a Diabetes Alert Dog, if yes how does your D.A.D help you with your diabetes management?
A:
 Never heard of them! But they sound like a good thing especially if you've become less aware of hypoglycemia

Q:
Are you friends with any other Type 1 diabetics in your area?
A:
 Not really, I know of people in my hometown with it though

Q:
Do you talk to other Type 1 Diabetic children/teens via facebook, twitter, or chat rooms? If yes:  Does that help your diabetes management and understanding of Type 1 Diabetes?
A:
 I sure do and it’s wonderful to have others who know exactly what you go through to share things with and talk to

Q:
Besides a cure what 1 thing would you like to see researchers working towards and why?
A:
 Not sure, a cure is the best thing that we need

Q:
What tips or advice would you give to other newly diagnosed Type 1 Diabetic children/teens?
A:
 Take it one step at a time, never ever be afraid or think it’s silly to ask for help, you've always got people there to support you and if things get tough it’s okay to have a whine every now and again :P

Keep checking back for more interviews :)

No comments: