As the parent I get that we do not want to hear the down right bad things about Type 1 Diabetes and we want it to be all rainbows and candy canes but seriously people, DIABETES SUCKS!! None of us asked for it, NONE of us want to deal with, and WE ALL want it to go away and a CURE to be found .... BUT until then the cold hard facts are there and we need to look at them and face them head on even though they are ugly monsters that we would rather turn our heads to.
It is a FACT that:
- People do not outgrow diabetes.
- Each year, more than 15,000 children and 15,000 adults—approximately 80 people per day—are diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes in the U.S
- As many as three million Americans may have Type 1 Diabetes
- The rate of Type 1 Diabetes incidence among children under age 14 is estimated to increase by 3% annually worldwide
- Type 1 Diabetes accounts for $14.9 billion in healthcare costs in the U.S. each year
- There is NO break from Type 1 Diabetes