Thursday, July 26, 2012

What is it like?

To be a teenager with Type 1 Diabetes

Adolescence is a tough time for all kids and their parents. Teenagers with diabetes carry extra burdens. That child who was always so good about type 1 diabetes management may suddenly rebel against the routine. He or she may refuse to monitor blood sugar levels, go on food binges, be evasive about test results. Your teenager may be grumpy, angry, distant; but this is not always the case!

Every teenager whether they have Type 1 Diabetes or not just wants to be heard ... They want to have an opinion ... and tell you how they feel.

I recently got to email this next lovely teenager and get her views on life with Type 1 Diabetes.

I hope this helps other teenagers, parents, family members out there understand how these children/young adults see their diabetes and social media

Q: First Name andAge
A:  Brieanna age 13

Q: When were you diagnosed and at what age?
A:
June 9th 2008 at the age of 9

Q: What do you remember about your diagnosis?
A:
I remember my mom crying and I was so young, so didn’t know what diabetes was and I didn't know why she was crying

Q:
Are you on an insulin pump (if yes what kind) or are you on multiple daily injections?
A:
.Medtronic Minimed paradigm insulin pump (revel)
Q: Do you like your current method of infusion?
A:
Yes

Q: How comfortable are you managing your Type 1 Diabetes?
A:
I am comfortable, I sometimes count my own carbs, change my sites, and I always test my own blood sugars

Q:
What is the hardest aspect of your diabetes management?
A:
Balancing my blood sugar while playing sports

Q:
Do you have a Diabetes Alert Dog, if yes how does your D.A.D help you with your diabetes management?
A:
no

Q:
Are you friends with any other Type 1 diabetics in your area?
A:
Yes I go to school with one and she’s in my grade

Q:
Do you talk to other Type 1 Diabetic children/teens via facebook, twitter, or chat rooms? If yes:  Does that help your diabetes management and understanding of Type 1 Diabetes?
A:
Yes, but we don’t talk about diabetes we just chat for fun

Q:
Besides a cure what 1 thing would you like to see researchers working towards and why?
A:
A smaller tubeless pump that doesn’t stick out and doesn't have to be changed every three days also a cgm that doesn’t lag behind so much

Q:
What tips or advice would you give to other newly diagnosed Type 1 Diabetic children/teens?
A:
Never give up, don’t let diabetes hold you back or stop you from doing what you love and following your dreams

No comments: