Saturday, July 7, 2012

What is it like ...

To be a Type 1 Diabetic who is over 60 years old?

So over the past week I hit on what it is like to be the mother of a type 1 diabetic, the father of a type 1 diabetic, and today we have some interviews from 2 amazing men who have lived with type 1 diabetes for 30+ years.

These men have seen all the changes that have come about in diabetes treatment and management, they have seen the DOC come into fruition with the help of the internet, and they drive others to know that you/your child CAN live a long healthy life despite the diagnosis of type 1 diabetes.

Our next interview is from Brian ...

Q: Your first name 
A: Brian

Q: How old are you? 

A: 60

Q: For the management of your Type 1 Diabetes are you on an insulin pump (If on pump which one) or multiple daily injections? 

A: I use an Animas Ping insulin pump with Apidra.

Q: What made you choose this method for management? 

A: My kidneys were falling apart due to high A1-c results over a year. I was on seven shots per day. I was rather tired of it. I looked into a pump and a good friend strongly recommended it. My cousin has a pump as well and his control is much better, as is mine.

Q: How confident are you with managing your diabetes? 

A: I have done it for many years. The pump, along with changing my diet to very low carb has helped immensely.

Q: What has changed the most in regards to diabetes management since you were diagnosed? 

A: I think insulins are much better than Regular and NPH, Adding Metformin to my drug regimen has helped control the amount of insulin I use each day.

Q: What does a typical day look like in your household in regards to diabetes management? 

A: Get up, test, test after the first round of work, eat a low carb lunch, test and Bolus, go back to work, come home, test, eat a snack correct accordingly, test exercise of some sort, test/correct and sleep.

Q: What does a typical day’s diet look like? 

A: My diet consists of a lot of meat, peanut butter, cheese and veggies. I eat little fruit because of bad blood sugar spikes, About once a week or so, I treat myself to ice cream.

Q: Besides a cure what 1 thing would you like to see researchers working towards and why? 

A: I don't believe a cure is going to happen any time soon. I believe that management will continue to improve with newer pump technology, and expanded coverage of things like CGMs and the artificial pancreas. I like my pump because it is technologically advanced, but want more features such as integrated CGMs and better remote access.

Q: What tips or advice would you give to a newly diagnosed Type 1 Diabetic children/teen/adult? 

A: Learn all you can about management and practice good management from the start. Diabetes is a huge change in lifestyle, and it is easy to live with it once accepted and good habits practiced. Also, look into technology early, such as CGMs and pumps, but learn how to take a shot and administer insulin with a syringe. Technology does fail and you need to be ready to manage the crisis.
 

Q: What would you like to see more of out of the Diabetes Online Community? 
A: Technology talk and more updates from industry and the FDA as to what is new and coming available to treat diabetes.

Q: What is your favorite thing about the Diabetes Online Community and why? 

A: I love the opportunity to share with other diabetics our stories of life each day. It seem as if everyone has lived the same issues at one time or another and the advice and support are generally wonderful. I also like the occasional kick in the pants that comes with these communities. (I kicked one this morning!)

Q: What 1 thing would you like to see discussed in the Diabetes Online Community that is not discussed enough? 

A: Sometimes there seems to be "owners" of the community who take over and don't respect the opinions and experiences of others in the forum. Sometimes people have few words to add, and are eliminated. That, to me, is not right. Courtesy is often forgotten. Sometimes, I look for treating and managing diabetes in developmentally disabled adults. I have an interest in this subject and have found little about it.

I want to thank Brian for sharing his POV with us all and keep on checking back for more upcoming interviews

 

No comments: