Saturday, July 14, 2012

What is it like...

To be an adult with Type 1 Diabetes?

Today I continue with the adults out there that are affected by Type 1 Diabetes. My interview today is by the awesome Mike Lawson. Mike Lawson is a self-proclaimed social media junkie, and a doctor-proclaimed Type 1 Diabetic. He’s also a blogger, Facebooker, Flickr Photographer, TuDiabetic, Youtuber, Tweeter, Podcaster, Linkedin-er and About.me-er. Since his Type 1 diagnosis in 2000, Mike has used the Internet and social media to connect with other diabetics and to receive help with staying healthy.

Mike is an awesome Vlogger on Youtube. If you have not checked him out yet then you MUST go check him out!!!

I hope you enjoy this interview as much as I do :)



Q:  Your first name
A:  Mike

Q: How old are you and when were you diagnosed?
A: 24

Q:      For the management of your Type 1 Diabetes are you on an insulin pump (If on pump which one) or multiple daily injections?
A: MDI

Q:      What made you choose this method for management?
A: Money. I'm not able to pump right now because of some personal financial restrictions and crummy insurance coverage.

Q:      How comfortable are you with managing your diabetes?
A: Super comfortable.

Q:      What has changed the most in regards to diabetes management since you were diagnosed?
A: When I was initially diagnosed I received a really crummy education and introduction to diabetes.  I had to do a lot of research on my own and I had to fire a few doctors that weren't up to giving me the treatment and care I needed.  It took a while for me to realize that doctors are not the all-knowing men that I had once thought them to be.

Q:      What does a typical day look like in your household in regards to diabetes management?
A: My management has become really easy and second nature.  I test & carb count.  Since I live alone, I just don't purchase things that make my blood sugar go high.

Q:      What does a typical day’s diet look like?
A: I eat pretty low carb.  Lots of eggs, cheese, and meat.  My George Foreman Grill is used almost every evening.  My co-workers make fun of my "meat tacos" but I love eating lunch meat with string cheese in the middle.  I love eating low-carb because when I limit my carb intake, I inject less and make smaller mistakes.  I rarely go low and I rarely go high.

Q:      While searching for a cure what other  1 thing would you like to see researchers working towards and why?
A: A closed-loop system that tests my glucose and delivers insulin or glucose without having me input anything.

Q:   What tips or advice would you give to a newly diagnosed Type 1 Diabetic children/teen/adult?
A: There's no perfect diabetic.  Don't beat yourself up over one number. 

Q:   What would you like to see more of out of the Diabetes Online Community?
A: Too many of us call our discovery of the DOC "life-changing" so why aren't more medical professionals referring newly diagnosed people to our hubs!?  To the people already participating, we understand the value...I just hoped more healthcare providers realized this too.

Q:   What is your favorite thing about the Diabetes Online Community and why?
A: I love how incredibly diverse the community is.  We have people of all ages.  People of all ethnicities.  All lifestyles.  Rich.  Poor.  Parents. Bachelors. And I feel comfortable talking to each and every one of them.  I can't think of many other places that can brag about that.

Q:   What is your least favorite thing about the Diabetes Online Community and why?
A: The distance!! I've met some amazing people that I would love to sit down and have a cup of coffee with or invite over to play cards, but they live a thousand miles away.  Can't everyone in the DOC just move to Phoenix?

Q:   What 1 thing would you like to see discussed in the Diabetes Online Community that is not discussed enough?
A: I think that there isn't enough discussion about liquor & insulin.  Too many doctors tell us just to avoid drinking too much.  But for college kids with diabetes, that's not a realistic option.  If we are going to drink, then we might as well not ignore what liquor does to our glucose levels or how to adjust insulin dosages while drinking.

I want to thank Mike Lawson for taking the time to help me out!!

Keep looking for the upcoming segments. Still to come are children/teens with T1, Spouses, Grandparents, Aunts, and much much more. Hope to see you reading more soon 

No comments: